01.28.09

Buenos Aires – The Beginning

Posted in Buenos Aires at 2:38 am by Jackson Lee

Learning what is actually possible in life verses what we pursaude ourselves is possible is a journey that is worth more than any cheesy Mastercard advert. Two weeks in Buenos Aires has shown me a bit of that.

What, I asked myself, was I doing playing a epic game of Pictionairy at 7:00am on Sunday morning with a room full of Porteño´s (people of Buenos Aires)? Specking Spanish was the least of my problems, keeping fuelled on caffeine to stay awake was paramount – alcohol was not an option. Amougst a few moments of luck, the 4 hour game was hilarious mostly due to the good nature of the hosts.

Turns out that people in Buenos Aires simple don´t sleep all that much – specially on weekends. I´m told that it is common for porteños to see the Sunday sun come up. House parties, usually get started after 1am and nightclubs open there doors at 2am.  Last week, I saw a woman getting a haircut at 3am and 15 or 16 yo girls throwing a bag of flour at each other sometime after midnight. Dog walking is hugely popular around 1am.

It will be a long time before I happily find mysel home early because the pillow was calling or the world around me told me so. If the Porteño Argentine´s think sleeping is overrated then I sure as hell don´t have a good argument against them. Vivo ahora, no mañana.

Recent economic collapse, military dictatorship, insanely passionate soccer fans, the Falklands war (Guerra de las Malvinas), ridiculously poor dietary choice (think meat x infinity), beautiful people, incredible weather and a romantic language – welcome to Buenos Aires.

10 Comments »

1. Leanne said,

January 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

I am interested to know if they start work later too.. I mean if nothing opens/gets started till later does that mean that if or when they do sleep that they get to sleep in? Funny about the 1am dog walking. I drove through Khandallah tonight at 9.30pm and everyone was walking their dogs and thought that was strange…

2. Tanja said,

January 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm

‘Vegetarian who doesn’t have a sweet tooth in Buenos Aires’–now that deserves a blog entry. Isn’t it all steaks and dulce de leche?

3. Nana said,

February 4, 2009 at 6:20 am

Jackson, It will be interesting to see if you succumb to meat in an area where such large quantities are consumed. Nicholas passed on your blog. Hope you continue to enjoy a life with less sleep time. cheers Nana

4. Shanus said,

February 5, 2009 at 10:33 am

Totally looking forward to reading more of your gloriousity, Jacko. Love your work. 🙂

5. Nana said,

February 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Jackson,We are all wondering how things are with your travels; how you celebrated your birthday which hopefully you enjoyed etc etc. So trust things are panning out as you had hoped. Send an update soon. Cheers Nana

6. Jackson Lee said,

February 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Most people do start work later than other countries, but not all and not so a lot later than normal. Burning the candle at both ends is a artform. In saying this, the workers next door, who are renovating a shop into a Nike Shoe Store, start cracking walls at exactly 7:30am.

7. Bones said,

March 3, 2009 at 12:32 am

Cycling, Meat, Sun, Partying….I think you may have actually gone to heaven mate?!

8. Nana said,

April 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Here in Akld for Easter, catching up with your blog.
    Aunty Helen by the way is soon off to the UN as No 3 staffer there.
    Dr Cullen also leaving the Beehive for various other positions including Deputy Chair of Kiwibank- apparently he does not wish to leave NZ. Meanwhile we all keep carrying on living, trusting the global financial woes do not impact too much-which they do for some. The sun does continue to shine and the Conchords are back on Prime. So keep on sending long blogs. Cheers Nana

9. Jackson Lee said,

April 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for the update Nana – Aunty Helen will bring world financial order and good political looks to the UN. Jackson

10. Debojyoti said,

December 21, 2015 at 11:29 am

These illustrations are rlealy sweet. I saw the 1st image on bloglovin and was hoping to see more pictures post. So thank you for the eye candy todayxo,Andy